Assuming you don’t plug in your bathroom mat to turn on an internal heater, the mat is the same temperature as the tile floor. Everything in the room is at about the same temperature: room temperature. The tiles conduct heat much better than the fluffy mat, which means they suck heat out of your feet much faster. This is not just a psychological effect. Your feet actually get colder on the tiles. But it’s because of high thermal conductivity, not low temperature. Granite tiles have a thermal conductivity that is 100-150 times higher than that of cotton bathroom mats, according to The Engineering Toolbox. That means your warm feet loose heat 100 times faster to the room-temperature tiles than to the room-temperature mat. The sensation of cold you experience is your feet at a reduced temperature due to rapid heat loss, not the tiles at a reduced temperature. Three of the best thermal conductors are diamond (which looses heat 1 million times faster than cotton), gold (11,000 times faster than cotton), and copper (14,000 times faster than cotton). So think twice before lining your bathroom floor with diamond, gold, or copper and throwing out the mat.
Post CommentsTo share comments, join the discussion on our Facebook Page
- How does water dowsing work?
- Why doesn’t the planet Uranus explode if it contains so much hydrogen and methane?
- Did cancer exist before man-made chemicals were around to create it?
- Why does the sun not run out of oxygen as it burns?
- What makes radioactive atoms get old so quickly and decay?
- When hang-drying clothes, which is faster, indoors or outdoors?
- How much money do I save by recharging my cell phone at work.
- When I sit by a campfire, how does its hot air heat me?
- Why do my fingers absorb water and become wrinkled?
- As light from a star spreads out and weakens, do gaps form between the photons?
- What is the the most harmful pseudo-science?
- Why are red, yellow, and blue the primary colors in painting but computer screens use red, green, and blue?
- Why is light pure energy?
- Is ionizing radiation always harmful?
- Why do scientists write so well?
- Are any pills perfectly safe?
- Why doesn’t my laptop emit radiation?
- Does an electron in an atom move at all?
- How do your intestines detox your body?
- Do poppy seeds contain narcotics?